Aizawl, March 2: A 38-year old man was burnt alive when his house caught fire on Tuesday around 11 pm, police said. The incident occurred at Kawnpui village in Kolasib district when the victim Vanlalhruaia was fast asleep.
Police said that the tin roofed house belonged to late Hrangkhuma was occupied by his two sons- Vanlaldela and Vanlalhruaia.
The victim was alone in the house which did not have electric connection and the fire was suspected to be caused by a candle.
Vanlalhruaia got married some years back and had 4 children. He was living alone after he broke up with his wife.
On seeing the flame, the local people rushed to the spot and doused the fire.
The dead body of Vanlalhruaia was buried at Kawnpui grave yard today after an autopsy at the village’s PHC.
As recorded by Fire & Emergency department, as many as 26 people had been killed and 41 others injured due to fire during 2012-16. During last year there were 44 house fire and 127 forest fire in Mizoram which caused the loss of 5 lives.